New Zealand mine: ‘No survivors’ right after second blast

24 Nov 2010

All 29 miners trapped in a very New Zealand coal pit considering that Friday are thought to become dead right after a 2nd explosion. avkosh car insurance quotes

Police Supt Gary Knowles said there was no hope that any person could have survived the ‘massive’ underground blast on the Pike River mine on South Island.

Prime Minister John Critical said the loss of existence was a national tragedy.

There had been no speak to with the men - 24 New Zealanders, two Australians, two Britons and a South African - because the initially explosion on Friday.

The Britons have been Peter Rodger, forty, and Malcolm Campbell, 25, who have been the two initially from Scotland.

‘Many British citizens have manufactured their residence in New Zealand as well as loss of Mr Rodger, Mr Campbell and their colleagues will have touched the hearts of numerous within the UK,’ said UK Foreign Secretary William Hague.

Supt Knowles, who lead the rescue operation, said there had been yet another explosion at 1437 (0137 GMT) on Wednesday within the mine.

‘It is our belief that no-one has survived and everyone will have perished,’ he instructed reporters.

‘I was on the mine myself when this in fact occurred as well as blast was horrific, just as severe as the initially blast and were at present now shifting into recovery phase.

‘This is probably the most tragic things Ive had to do as being a police officer.’

Rescuers had been preparing to go to the mine on Wednesday, but information advised the amounts of methane gas have been too high.

Shortly afterwards, the 2nd explosion happened. It was larger and stronger than Fridays blast, and lasted about 30 seconds, officials said.

The chief executive of Pike River Coal, Peter Whittall, said it will make every last effort to retrieve the bodies of the men, aged between 17 and 62.

‘We want our boys back again and we want to have them out,’ he instructed reporters.

Mr Whittall said the families have been absolutely devastated by the news’.

They had all held out hope that their son, their brother will be the fortunate a single, he said, ahead of including with tears welling up in his eyes: ‘Im unlikely to view my workmates again.’

Loved ones members wept, shouted and fell on the floor right after hearing the news, Grey District mayor Tony Kokshoorn said.

‘People shouted out in anger, they may be sickened by the entire issue. Loads of them felt misled,’ he additional. ‘Its unbelievable. That is the West Coasts darkest hour. It does not get worse than this.’

Lawrie Drew, the father of 21-year-old miner Zen Drew, later instructed reporters: ‘I am nonetheless hoping that any individual can be identified that is definitely nonetheless alive.’

The BBCs Phil Mercer in Greymouth says a church service was held on Wednesday evening to remember the dead and also to consolation these left behind, whose lives have already been scarred eternally.

The prime minister said he would travel on the region on Thursday to fulfill the miners families and thank the rescue crews.


TAGS


-

Author

Follow Me


Archive